odp
49 to 72 of 298 locations
-
Mill "Den Olden Florus"
Mill "Den Olden Florus"
3784 VE Terschuur
-
Nationaal Bomenmuseum Gimborn
Nationaal Bomenmuseum Gimborn
3941 BZ Doorn
-
RAUM
RAUM
RAUM is an oasis in the new city, in the heart of Leidsche Rijn Center, where you can create, imagine and question the future of the city through art & design.
The city is a source of knowledge, skills, creativity and resources. In order to unlock that source, you must stimulate interaction between people and the environment. RAUM does this by stimulating through cultural experiment. And that provides new insights. Stories are made and told at RAUM. It is a place where art and design show the challenges of our city. A place that gives shape to the residents' solidarity with their city.
3541 CM Utrecht
-
-
Muiden
Muiden
The best way to experience the convivial fortified city of Muiden is to take a stroll by the harbour with its many traditional sailing boats or to settle down at an outdoor café with a view of the Groote Zeesluis. Alternatively, you can explore the fort island of Pampus or visit the centuries-old Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot. Along with Naarden and Weesp, the fortified city of Muiden played an important role. Muiden closed off the Zeedijk dyke and protected the sea and inundation locks of the Vecht. Fort C, also popularly known as ‘the Muizenfort’, has a small museum about the New Dutch Waterline and the Defence Line of Amsterdam.
Herengracht
1398 AA Muiden
-
-
Inundation lock at Wijk bij Duurstede
Inundation lock at Wijk bij Duurstede
In 1870, the Kromme Rijn was given a key role in the New Dutch Waterline. Back then, it took almost a month to flood the area around Utrecht. This had to be speeded up. To this end, the river was widened, its bends were straightened and locks and dams were built. Near Wijk bij Duurstede, a large inundation lock was built that made Wijk bij Duurstede the ‘tap’ with which to turn on the New Dutch Waterline. This reduced the time needed to flood the inundation areas to between 4 and 12 days. The inlet is still used daily to transport fresh water to the city of Utrecht and the river Vecht.
3961CH Wijk bij Duurstede
-
-
Peking Garden
Peking Garden
-
Grebbeberg Military Cemetery
Grebbeberg Military Cemetery
The largest battle of the Dutch army in WWII took place on Grebbeberg Hill. Here poorly armed and untrained men held their ground against a very powerful and ruthless opponent for three days. Grebbeberg Military Cemetery is the final resting place for more than 800 soldiers and 1 citizen who perished here in the Second World War. It is located on Grebbeberg Hill at Rhenen, and was a battlefield of just a few square kilometres, but is full of stories of the courage of desperation in the Netherlands.
The information centre, with an exhibition about the events on Grebbeberg Hill during “The Battle for Grebbeberg Hill” in May 1940, is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
3911 AV Rhenen
-
-
VVV Scherpenzeel
VVV Scherpenzeel
3925 JP Scherpenzeel
-
Restaurant De Dennen
Restaurant De Dennen
3927 AW Renswoude
-
Wineyard Hoog Beek & Royen
Wineyard Hoog Beek & Royen
3708JA Zeist
-
Grote Kerk Vianen (Great Church)
-
-
-
-
Accept cookies to see this content.
Grote Kerk Vianen (Great Church)
Hubrecht van Vianen founded a chapel in the 13th Century. It fell under the mother church in Hagestein and began growing fast. In the year 1345, it became a parish church and was granted marriage and burial rights. For this, a sum of money had to be paid to the church in Hagestein annually. In the 14th Century, the chapel was replaced by a single-nave church. In the year 1433, following a feud between Vianen and Hagestein, the Bishop of Utrecht decided to split the two churches.
In the mid-15th Century, the church was replaced by a 3-aisle Gothic hall church which is the same size as the current church. (Including the tower, it’s 77.5 metres long, 43 metres wide and 41 metres high.) Since the church also contains the family graves of the Lords of Vianen, it was required to match the grand status of the Brederodes in terms of its size and appearance.
After a fire in the year 1540, the church (de Grote Kerk) was rebuilt in its current form almost immediately (as a combination of a hall church and cruciform church) with the support of Reinoud III van Brederode. The church became Reformed under his son, Hendrik van Brederode. On 25 September 1566, the Roman Catholic institution disappeared and then, on 1 October, the first Protestant service was held.
Further reading: Dutch Reformed Church Hagestein, Mausoleum of Reinoud III van Brederode, Brederode statue, Hagestein Castle, Guesthouse chapel, Vianen Castle.
Voorstraat 110
4132 AT Vianen
-
-
TOP 't Hooge Erf
TOP 't Hooge Erf
3749 AB Lage Vuursche
-
TOP Island of Schalkwijk
TOP Island of Schalkwijk
3998 JE Schalkwijk
-
TOP Pondskoekersluis
TOP Pondskoekersluis
De Hoef Oostzijde 1
1426AD De Hoef
-
Renswoude Castle
Renswoude Castle
3927BA Renswoude
-
Koppelpoort Amersfoort
Koppelpoort Amersfoort
3811 MG Amersfoort
-
Culture Factory
Culture Factory
3901 TP Veenendaal
-
National Glass Museum & Glass studio
National Glass Museum & Glass studio
4142 LD Leerdam
-
Large Pump/Vianen Town Pump
Large Pump/Vianen Town Pump
Voorstraat 54
4132 AS Vianen
-
The Amersfoort Boulder
The Amersfoort Boulder
3800 Amersfoort
-
TOP Bergse Bossen
TOP Bergse Bossen
Traaij 299
3971 GM Driebergen
-
Amersfoort Zoo
Amersfoort Zoo
3819 AC Amersfoort
-
Kerckebosch Castle****
Kerckebosch Castle****
3708 AA Zeist
-
Grachten Galerie
Grachten Galerie
3511 NE Utrecht