odp
193 to 216 of 298 locations
-
TOP Leerdam
TOP Leerdam TOP Leerdam
Lingedijk 8
4142 LD Leerdam
-
Delicacies from Zeist
Delicacies from Zeist Centrum Zeist
3701 Zeist
-
Soestdijk Palace
Soestdijk Palace Amsterdamsestraatweg 1
3744 AA Baarn
-
Inundation lock at Wijk bij Duurstede
Inundation lock at Wijk bij Duurstede
In 1870, the Kromme Rijn was given a key role in the New Dutch Waterline. Back then, it took almost a month to flood the area around Utrecht. This had to be speeded up. To this end, the river was widened, its bends were straightened and locks and dams were built. Near Wijk bij Duurstede, a large inundation lock was built that made Wijk bij Duurstede the ‘tap’ with which to turn on the New Dutch Waterline. This reduced the time needed to flood the inundation areas to between 4 and 12 days. The inlet is still used daily to transport fresh water to the city of Utrecht and the river Vecht.
Singel 51
3961CH Wijk bij Duurstede
-
-
Wilhelmina city park
Wilhelmina city park Wilhelminapark
3581 NP Utrecht
-
TOP Winkelpolder, Vinkeveen
TOP Winkelpolder, Vinkeveen Vinkenkade 75
3645AP Vinkeveen
-
Brasserie Soesterduinen
Brasserie Soesterduinen Soesterbergsestraat 188
3768 MD Soest
-
Rope museum
Rope museum Reijersteeg 4
3421 SZ Oudewater
-
Grebbe Line Visitor's Centre
Grebbe Line Visitor's Centre Grebbelinie Bezoekerscentrum
Buursteeg 2
3927EJ Renswoude
-
Grote Kerk Vianen (Great Church)
-
-
-
-
Accept cookies to see this content.
Grote Kerk Vianen (Great Church)
Hubrecht van Vianen founded a chapel in the 13th Century. It fell under the mother church in Hagestein and began growing fast. In the year 1345, it became a parish church and was granted marriage and burial rights. For this, a sum of money had to be paid to the church in Hagestein annually. In the 14th Century, the chapel was replaced by a single-nave church. In the year 1433, following a feud between Vianen and Hagestein, the Bishop of Utrecht decided to split the two churches.
In the mid-15th Century, the church was replaced by a 3-aisle Gothic hall church which is the same size as the current church. (Including the tower, it’s 77.5 metres long, 43 metres wide and 41 metres high.) Since the church also contains the family graves of the Lords of Vianen, it was required to match the grand status of the Brederodes in terms of its size and appearance.
After a fire in the year 1540, the church (de Grote Kerk) was rebuilt in its current form almost immediately (as a combination of a hall church and cruciform church) with the support of Reinoud III van Brederode. The church became Reformed under his son, Hendrik van Brederode. On 25 September 1566, the Roman Catholic institution disappeared and then, on 1 October, the first Protestant service was held.
Discover all monuments in Vianen. Grote kerk Vianen
Voorstraat 110
4132 AT Vianen
-
-
Vianen
Vianen Hofplein
Vianen
-
Fort Everdingen
Fort Everdingen Fort Everdingen
Noodweg 2
4121 KK Everdingen
-
Nationaal Bomenmuseum Gimborn
Nationaal Bomenmuseum Gimborn Velperengh 13
3941 BZ Doorn
-
De Haar Castle
De Haar Castle
De Haar Castle is the biggest and most luxurious castle in The Netherlands. It is one of the top European historic houses. A visit to De Haar Castle will take you back to the glory days of the castle and will show you the breathtaking splendour that surrounded the international rich and famous in the early 20th century. You will be amazed at the very un-Dutch luxury in which the Van Zuylen family and their guests lived amidst a wealth of history and art.
Few castles in The Netherlands can equal De Haar for its ideal image of a medieval fortress with towers and ramparts, moats, gates and drawbridges. Like a real fairy-tale castle it rises majestically from parkland with impressive trees, old gardens and ponds. The castle is situated in the centre of The Netherlands, near Utrecht, and is easy to reach by car. There is ample parking space.
De Haar Castle ranks among the top twenty most visited Dutch museums. It is a historic monument alive with year-round activities such as guided tours (for adults and for children), exhibitions, theatre and events. De Haar Castle is a private foundation and depends entirely on its revenues from ticket sales, activities and events.
Kasteellaan 1
3455 RR Haarzuilens
-
-
TOP Linschoten
TOP Linschoten TOP Landgoed Linschoten
Noord Linschoterdijk 1 (tegenover nr. 1)
Linschoten
-
Museum Heksenwaag
Museum Heksenwaag Leeuweringerstraat 2
3421 AC OUDEWATER
-
Restaurant-Chalet Klein Zwitserland
Restaurant-Chalet Klein Zwitserland Traaij 295
3971 GM Driebergen-Rijsenburg
-
Bicycle Boat, stop Breukelen
Bicycle Boat, stop Breukelen Fietsboot over de Vecht, opstapplaats Breukelen
Herenstraat 41
3621AP Breukelen
-
The Amersfoort Boulder
The Amersfoort Boulder hoek Stadsring/Arnhemsestraat 28
3800 Amersfoort
-
Henschoter lake
Henschoter lake De Heygraeff 2
3931MK Woudenberg
-
Fortresses of the four Lunetten
Fortresses of the four Lunetten De Lunetten
Oude Liesbosweg 68
3524 SB Utrecht
-
Boundary posts
Boundary posts
In around 1875, the Ministry of War erected some 350 boundary posts along the length of the Kromme Rijn. The blue stone posts, marked with the letter O (for Oorlog, the Dutch word for war) and a number, marked the new route for transporting water to the New Dutch Waterline. The posts used to line up with plot boundaries. Many have been removed over the years, but the water board has returned 18 of them to their original location along the towpath between Werkhoven and Odijk following the construction of an environmentally friendly riverbank.
Jaagpad
Odijk
-
-
Hoeve Ravenstein
Hoeve Ravenstein Groeneveld 3
3744 ML Baarn
-
Glass studio
Glass studio De Glasblazerij
Zuidwal
4141 BE Leerdam